Are bilinguals at a cognitive advantage or disadvantage to their peers? These questions are explored by examining the effects that social context has on bilingualism. We also focus on memory, language and reading, and consider methods of assessing the EAL child's language and reading abilities.
- Varieties of bilingualism and their effect on reading in EAL students
- Oral proficiency and its implications for reading in EAL students
- How EAL students learn to read in their first and second languages
- The effects of learning to read in a language that is not English
- How to support EAL pupils in the classroom
- Strategies for improving comprehension in EAL pupils
1 school day - approximately 5 hours